Monday, December 21, 2015

Why Taking A Few Days Off Running is OK

I haven't run in 7 days!



I ran my long run of 6 miles last Saturday, followed by a 2 mile recovery run (ok, mostly walk) on Sunday. Near the end of that 2 miles, I started to get a throbbing feeling in my lower back on the left side. I figured it was from the long run the day before, and I'm not used to doing anything the day after a long run, so my body was likely just adjusting and would be back to normal on Monday.

I woke up Monday morning with that same achy, throbbing in my back. Uh oh! I did lots of stretching the whole day and foam rolled a couple times thinking that should do the trick. But then Tuesday arrived and I didn't feel any better. My body was sending me a message, so I scheduled a massage for Wednesday afternoon with my favorite massage therapist figuring she would be able to work out some kinks that I couldn't! Thursday and Friday, I was still sore, but not in the same way that I was...mostly just from the massage. Finally, I woke up Saturday feeling great! Sunday I thought maybe I would run if I was still feeling good, but my husband talked me out of it, which was probably a good idea. No need to push it when I was just starting to get better.

So in light of my impromptu week off running, I learned a few things...

1. Listen to your body. If you don't, and you just keep pushing through aches and pains, eventually it may lead to an injury that can sideline you for much longer than if you had just listened to your body to begin with.

2. Enjoy the time off. I know that when you are in the midst of a training schedule, the last thing you want to do is a take a break. However, just taking a day or two off to do other things that you enjoy can be so refreshing. Catch up on TV shows, go shopping, hang out with friends. It's a great reminder that there are other things that you enjoy outside of running.

3. Read about running. Sometimes when I take a break from running, I like to immerse myself in all things related to running (I am so OCD) - this includes catching up with my favorite running blogs as well as purchasing running magazines or googling things related to running.

4. Plan ahead. Still trying to figure out your race schedule for the upcoming year? Take some time to sit down and research any future races in which you'd like to participate. If you already have races chosen, start planning out the weeks leading up to these races and how much mileage you need to do in order to accomplish your goals.

5. Research gear. One of the reasons I love running is being able to shop for awesome new gear! I love contemplating my next new item - whether it be a pair of new crops, a hydration pack, headlamp or anything else, shopping still allows me to think about running but get the rest I need.

6. Dabble in cross-training. If you are intent on at least some sort of active recovery, try some other non-impact exercises like swimming, yoga, biking. And lest we not forget, foam rolling.


My 7 days off was much needed - I haven't taken this many days off in a row in over a year. I should've done this in October after the Detroit half...especially since I had to walk downstairs backwards for 2 weeks straight! Now I am ready to get back on track now and begin my next training schedule for the Mini Marathon in Indy next May.

Sub 2:30:00, here I come!




No comments:

Post a Comment