Friday, December 11, 2015

New Garmin 235 & Heart Rate Training

I recently upgraded from a Garmin 220 to the new Garmin 235 in frost blue. I've had it for about a week now and so far, I am really liking it. Still getting used to all the features, especially the heart rate function and trying to tailor my runs based on HR training zones, which is really hard if you haven't tracked your heart rate before.


Trying to do a recovery run at 70-75% of max heart rate and I feel like I'm barely moving. And at times, I can't even run slow enough to get my heart rate in the right zone. I have to add in more walk intervals in order to get it low enough.

In an effort to better understand what exactly I should be doing in order to train in certain zones, I googled to get some basic information.

This post from Shut Up + Run has been the best explanation I've found so far.

To sum it up, you need to calculate your max HR and your resting HR.

Best way to calculate your max HR is to do a mile warmup, followed by running as fast as you can for 1-2 minutes, then 1 minute jog/recovery. Repeat this 3 times and take the highest HR.

Then calculate your resting HR before you get out of bed in the morning. The 235 calculates it for you...just make note of it after you wake up.

I've calculated my max HR at 195 and resting HR at 55.

Use these simple formulas to figure out percentages of your max HR for training runs:

Recovery & long runs should be done at 70-75% of your HR Reserve

  • (Max HR minus Resting HR) x 0.70 + Resting HR
  • (Max HR minus Resting HR) x 0.75 + Resting HR
So for me: (195 - 55) x 0.70 + 55 = 153   and   (195 - 55) x 0.75 + 55 = 160
I should do my recovery and long runs with an avg HR range of 153-160

Tempo runs should be done at 85% of your HR Reserve

  • (Max HR minus Resting HR) x 0.85 + Resting HR
So for me: (195 - 55) x 0.85 + 55 = 174
I should do my tempo runs with an avg HR of 174

Interval/speed workouts should be done at 90-95% of your HR Reserve

  • (Max HR minus Resting HR) x 0.90 + Resting HR
  • (Max HR minus Resting HR) x 0.95 + Resting HR
So for me: (195 - 55) x 0.90 + 55 = 181 and   (195 - 55) x 0.95 + 55 = 188
I should do my interval/speed workouts with an avg HR range of 181-188

Here's more info on the method used to calculate these: Karvonen Method

For best results and to allow for recovery, alternate hard and easy days. For example, do a recovery run on Monday, followed by a speed workout on Tuesday, Wednesday may be another recovery run or cross training, etc. 

It may feel slow at first. Painfully slow. I even had to walk at times to keep it in the correct zone. BUT I noticed that I was not sore afterwards or even the next day. I enjoyed the workouts a lot more because I wasn't going all out all of the time.
The Garmin 235 even shows you how much time you spend in each zone, and on Garmin connect, will give you your average HR for each run

It's still a work in progress for me and I think it will really be useful in my marathon training this coming year!

On that note, so far this week's workouts have followed the plan:
  • Monday: Recovery run - 2.38m - 36:05 - 74% of max HR
  • Tuesday: Tempo run - 3.18m - 40:02 - 3/1 run/walk intervals - 83% of max HR
  • Wednesday: OFF
  • Thursday: Speed run - 2.13m - 24:01 - 6 min warmup, 1/1 intervals, 6 min cooldown - 90% of max HR
  • Friday (today): I will be doing elliptical at recovery speed (20 mins)
  • Saturday (tomorrow) I will be doing 6 miles at long run pace
For those that are interested in comparing the looks and size of the Garmin 220 vs Garmin 235, here are a few pics:




Also, 55 degrees yesterday in Michigan means shorts weather - woohoo!


Training Gear
Lululemon Swiftly LS   Oiselle Roga Shorts    Lululemon Cool Racerback  
Lululemon Energy Bra    Feetures Socks    Hoka Challenger ATR

No comments:

Post a Comment