Thursday, January 14, 2016

Training Derailed

As if dealing with hip flexor tendinitis wasn't enough, it seems my running has to be put off for even longer now. I got in a (somewhat minor) car accident last Friday. A co-worker and I went to lunch with a friend, and on our way back to work, got t-boned. I was at a somewhat blind 2-way stop. I stopped, looked both ways, and saw nothing coming. But the second I started to pull out into the intersection, I look to my passenger side and see his blue car coming right at me...and I knew he was going to hit. I managed to swerve left at the last second, but he still hit me right on the front passenger tire. A cop just happened to be nearby and was at the scene within a minute of the accident. After filing the police report, I managed to baby my car the 2 miles back to work, however, I knew it wasn't really driveable.

I had my husband pick me up from work and take me to the hospital because my wrist and neck were sore. Luckily it wasn't busy and we got in and out within an hour. No broken bones, just a sprained wrist and whiplash in my neck. I got some muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory pills, then we had to drive back to my work to meet the tow truck driver to give him the key. Very long night...and luckily the muscle relaxers helped me get thru the first 72 hours of post-crash soreness.

*Update: $2,400 to fix car :( New struts, bumper and fender

Now it has been a week since I've ran and I just did my first round of physical therapy for my hip yesterday. I felt fine while doing it, but my left hip is a bit sore today. I have a feeling it's going to be a LONG road to full recovery.

I did tell myself last Wednesday that I was going to take 2 weeks of running no matter what. Going on 8 days now and I feel like I'm about to lose my mind. I'm looking into buying a recumbent bike to start to work back up to running.


Exerpeutic 900XL High Capacity Stationary Recumbent Bike

Hoping that this bike along with PT and starting with walking will help me work back up.

The marathon is still on my radar but it's looking less and less like that's a good idea, so I may end up spending the year focusing on 2-3 half marathons and some shorter distances. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment