Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Surgery Day

Well today is the day of my surgery. I didn't really have time to be nervous since I just scheduled it yesterday. It was supposed to be August 30, but yesterday (June 14) I got a call that there was a cancellation but it just happened to be June 15, the next day. I freaked out a little at first, but figured I'd rather just go ahead and get it over with. I talked with work and family and agreed to go in for surgery the next day.

So, I got up fairly early as I had to be at the surgery center in Novi by 730am. Doug and Mom went with me, and we took my father in law's van as I figured it would be easier to get in and out of afterwards.

They get me set up in pre-op fairly quickly, and Doug and Mom talked to me for almost an hour straight until it was time to go back. This was good because it kept my mind off of the surgery. Just before, Dr. Farjo came in and marked the correct hip. Off we went. I remember there being 6-8 people in there setting up...and was only awake for about 30 seconds before they put me under.

I was later told by my husband that surgery only took about 45 minutes, which is pretty fast for all the work I had done - labral tear repair with one anchor, femoroplasty and shaving of bone spurs, bursectomy and IT band release.

I woke up in awful pain but my nurse was so amazing. She was very soothing, kept telling me to take big breaths. She kept trying to give me morphine, but it just wasn't helping. I've had this issue before...it really doesn't work for me. So finally she gave me dilaudid, which finally started to ease the pain. I fell asleep for a few minutes, then woke up again feeling at least a little better. They gave me some water and animal crackers to make sure I could eat and drink without getting sick. Luckily I never had issues with nausea. I was then allowed to get dressed - I brought a heavy sweatshirt long nightgown, which was good because the bandage was so big, I don't think I would've been able to wear pants over it. With help from mom, I finally got dressed and seated in the wheelchair while Doug went to get the van. Getting in the van was easier than I thought it would be, I guess because the pain meds were still working so well. Half the drive home was great - I felt OK. But after about 30 minutes or so, I was ready to be home. Pain was coming on stronger, and I wouldn't wait to crawl into my own bed.

Once I got home, my mom went to pick up my pain meds from the drug store. Then finally arrived home and I took some. I don't remember most of the rest of the day as I was in and out of sleep. I do remember peeing a lot due to all the fluids I'd been given, which seemed like torture because I kept having to get out of bed and use crutches to get to the bathroom. I couldn't even lift my operative leg without help.

By the next day, the pain meds just were not keeping up with my pain and I was unable to move my leg without excruciating pain, so I called the surgeon and my mom was able to drive down there to pick up a stronger dose. I started taking those when she returned and that helped a ton. I took them every 4 hours even through the night for a while. I had to stay ahead of the pain and make sure not to miss a dose.

The next several days were a blur. I had my ice machine on constantly, pain meds in at all times, drifted in and out of sleep and watched the Olympic trials. I would return at 1 week post op to have stitches removed.

Here are some pics from my surgery:

After bone shaving (femoroplasty)

Inflammation inside the hip joint (before it was removed)

Tear repaired
gigantic hip pad

No comments:

Post a Comment